The majority of the houses were built around 1920 using hand-made concrete blocks. The sea-wall built after the 1953 flood changed the outlook to a mixture of fields and marshland. The fields are used to graze cattle and sheep and the habitat is ideal for all types of wildlife. To the north of the fields is Easton Bavents and the sandy cliffs which form the homes to the sand martins. They are under constant attack from the sea as can be seen on maps from 1600 where the cliffs extended about a mile into the sea.
Detail of Speede map (1610)
A modern view of Southwold
Veni, vidi, vici. Roman statue (135 mm high)
An early 17th century seal top spoon (160 mm long) from the Waveney Valley
The indecisive battle of Sole Bay was fought in 1672
A cock and spur clock c1720